Wednesday 29 October 2014

Balboa



I love Balboa. As a Swing-Dance it is quite possibly my favourite and, given that I adore Lindy-Hop, that is quite a thing. I haven't been able to attend the latest bloc of classes due to a scheduling clash with my Spanish class. This week is, however, half-term so I was able to trot along to class last night. I had a brilliant time and did both Beginner and Improver classes.

Balboa comes in two forms: Pure Balboa and Bal-Swing. In Pure Bal the Lead and Follow maintain a close hold for the whole of the dance. In Bal-Swing the Lead and Follow will seperate to do turns, throw-outs, come arounds and the like. The Dream is a Bal-Swing move also.

We learned a move called 'The Dream' in Beginners and a Contra-Body move in Improvers. Contra-Body is best summarised as: your top half moves one way while your bottom half goes in the opposite direction. My back-ache this morning bore witness to this!

Updates as they happen!

PS Welcome to new blog follower Edwin King. He runs a smashing blog page and has a presence on Facebook. Go and have a look; you won't be disappointed!


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the welcome and kind words! I think you've got your links mixed up though - I don't have those kind of moves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning.
    I would like to present to you: wild steps, the dance blog

    http://villitaskeleet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning to you too and thank you for the link :)

      Delete
    2. Here is another tip.
      We are the dancing folks, all the Nordic countries
      I sing, and I like much many Latin rhythm, as well as a slow waltz, waltz and tango

      http://maxim-ex.blogspot.fi/2014/09/tanssilava-lavatanssit.html

      Delete
    3. I'll have a look-see later, Maximex, but thank you once more :)

      Delete
  3. Well I wasn't expecting that this morning, although I suppose there is a clue in your blog title. Great moves Sir and all power to your elbow!

    ReplyDelete