Thursday 16 October 2014

Out, Demons, OUT!


I've been dreadfully ill with some kind of flu for the past two weeks. What's been annoying and depressing is that it has prevented me from going to dance lessons and social dances. This is simply not acceptable and last night my body decided enough was enough. I went to bed quite early but could not settle. At around 3am my body began to heat up, I became quite delirious in fact. I felt absolutely wretched.

Now, living alone as I do and this sort of thing happens it's a worry. Luckily, even in a delirious state I was able to take some paracetamol; get a homemade honey/lemon drink down me; open some windows and make it to the sofa in the living room; where I passed out until 11am this morning.

When I awoke I felt considerably better than I had a few hours before. So much so that I was able to cook myself some food: a sausage and fried egg sandwich and a mug of tea which raised my morale 100%. I then rested for the remainder of the day. Later I felt strong enough to go to dance class tonight and I am glad I did. It was a real boost to see all my friends and our teachers. And even though I was only about 90% fit I hacked the class.

We've started to learn a routine for a public display in November which includes the following Lindy-Hop moves:

2 x Basic 8-Count Triple Steps

1 x Double Turn Tuck Turn

2 x He-Goes-She-Goes

2 x Lindy Turns

1 x Bring In

2 x Frankie Manning Circles

1 x Normal Circle

1 x Travelling Jockey

We do that twice.

Then we do:

2 x Basic 8-Count Triple Steps

1 x Boost Jump

2 x Outside Turns

1 x Short Whip

1 x Bring In

1 x Long Whip

1 x Bring In

We do that once, maybe twice.

Quite a workout but superb for improving low mood or depression and it also seems to have killed off the last of the flu terrorists.

I can now probably get my annual flu vaccination. I'll ask my GP who I'm seeing tomorrow.

All the best!

4 comments:

  1. My dear chap, I hope you are feeling 100% recovered by the time you read this.
    Your post explains the "Dancing" part of your title. Do you know anything about 1920s-30s era Swing Dancing?
    Cheers,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael, I'm feeling much better.

      It depends on what you would like to know about Swing-Dancing really. I dance mainly Lindy Hop, Balboa and Jitterbug and have been learning them for almost 4 years.

      If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them :)

      All the best
      James

      Delete
  2. It's good to hear that you are getting better ... and your dance classes sound like an excellent workout that will help speed your recovery.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete