Sunday 6 December 2015

Iraq 1941 - Iraqi Mechanized Troops

Hello all,
As you will remember I'm keen on the campaigns of the early part of WW2 and the one in Iraq fits the job description nicely. At first I was bereft of ideas on how to proceed. I knew it was going to be a Megablitz battle and that was it until I remembered my Grandfather has given me a copy of 'The Road Past Mandalay' by John Masters. In the book Masters details his involvement in the Iraq 1941 campaign. This was a good start.

I then purchased the Osprey campaign book 'Iraq 1941' by Robert Lyman. A good reference book; well illustrated with copious photographs, colour plates and maps. Spoilt in parts by Mr Lyman's rather confusing writing style and his anti-Iraqi bias. I feel a more even-handed editor could have eliminated some of the more glaring errors. I like the book a lot.

Finally I stumbled across this web page Morval Earth which is a fantastic resource for all manner of the esoteric including this huge section o Iraq 1941. Lots of fun, chock full of good gen. A real diamond of a web page.

I thought the siege of RAF Habbaniya was ideally suited to a small game: relief columns battling the desert and Iraqi defenders; RAF aircraft of various types defending and attacking; besieging Iraqi mechanized troops; aerial support from Fliegerfuhrer Irak. It's got it all. I already have sufficient figures and vehicles in the WDF boxes but had no Iraqis. I decided to created Iraqi 1st Mechanized Brigade and Iraqi 1st Infantry Division. The Iraqis had been trained and equipped by the British so their organisation follows that of their instructors.

So, for 1st Mech Bde I used HAT WW1 Turkish Infantry with some head swaps onto Revell 8th Army for the infantry. Trucks are all diecasts. The artillery is supposed to be 18lbrs but I used what I had which is HAT WW1 German Artillery. The Iraqi kit is described as olive green which I tried to recreate the colour on the vehicles and equipment followed by a heavy dry brushing with buff. The matt varnish added an unasked for further heavy dusting. Oh well, it is the desert after all. The photos aren't the best either!

Iraqi 1st Mechanized Brigade for Megablitz

 Left to right: POL & LOG Columns, Tankette & A/C Battalions, 
HQ/Staff & Signals, Mechanised Artillery Regiment, Motor MG Company, Motor Infantry
Note the Capacity Markers in the back of the MG & Infantry transports

 Close-up of the armoured units and the POL & LOG columns

 Close-up of the HQ, Artillery and Infantry units

All the best!



16 comments:

  1. You're back! I've missed seeing your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you posting again James.
    You can also use your French if you expand to cover Syria, but I'm sure you've already thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do indeed. I've already bought two Soviet SB2 bombers to re-imagine as Vichy Martin bombers ;-)

      Delete
  3. I have a lot of WW1 Turks that I have been wondering what to do with ... but now I do! A very interesting and very different Megablitz army.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a minute...wait, I know, don't tell me....James! it's James, isn't it. Seriously, great to see you back. The vehicles are great too.
    Cheers
    Col

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Col! It's good to be back too :-) Thank you for the compliment :-)

      Delete
  5. Welcome back James, nice army to boot. Yeah I agree with you Morval Earth is an interesting spot on the web!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thought you'd fallen off the face of the planet :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Al! There's been times in the last 8 months it felt like that but I'm back now! :-)

      Delete
  7. Splendid work chumrade!

    They all look the part. Good show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul! It's good to be back on task :-)

      Delete
  8. Excellent stuff, I like to see the imaginative use of all sorts of different models. Many thanks for the kind words about the information on my website on the campaign.

    Alan
    Owner of MorvalEarth and all the Iraq 1941 toys there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan, thank you for the compliment and thank you for building Morval Earth too :-)

      Delete